Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year - 13 - 5

13. Athlete – Wires
Wires was released earlier this year in the UK by Athlete and immediately caught my attention. I saw them with Snow Patrol in May and the lead singer explained that this was about his baby girl who was born premature and very ill. He has got very unique vocals and he puts together a great chorus and they are a very solid live act.
Honorable Mention – Twenty Four Hours, Maps, Half Light, Street Maps
www.athlete.mu/

12. Nada Surf – Always Love
This band has experienced a complete makeover since they arrived on the grunge scene with their hit “Popular” way back in 2000. Their new album “The Weight is a Gift” has grown on me recently. They are a fun band, not too heavy and very catchy with infectious hooks.
Honorable Mention – Concrete Bed, Do it Again, Blankest Year
www.nadasurf.com/

11. Franz Ferdinand – Do You Want To
It took a couple listens for me to really get into this song, I really didn’t know what to think of it at first. It’s a great song though and I must say I am glad I gave it another chance. The video is also well done and quite enjoyable. This is a great album too with 3 to 4 other standout tracks which I’m sure will keep Franz Ferdinad in the charts well into 2006.
Honorable Mention – I’m Your Villain, The Fallen, Walk Away
www.franzferdinand.co.uk/

10. Jack Johnson –Badfish/Boss DJ (Sublime Cover)
Jack’s a song writer, although personally I find his songs better when incorporated into a mix along with other genres etc. Its not that I don’t like his albums, but I find it becomes a wash because all of the songs sort of have the same tempo and feel to them. The Sublime tribute album that came out this year featured a track where Jack actually covered two Sublime songs in a medley … he totally pulled it off. Bravo, well done sir.
Honorable Mention – Breakdown, Sitting Waiting Watching, Good People
www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/

9. Ambulance Ltd. – Primitive (The Way I Treat You)
Cool song, really catchy. The Self titled album by Ambulance ltd is a difficult one to track down. But it was worth the hunt, it’s really an enjoyable listen … I don’t think these guys will be a one hit wonder, I think they have a pretty bright future.
Honorable Mention – Heavy Lifting, Sugar Pill, Orphelia
www.ambulancenyc.com/

8. Stereophonics – Rewind
My Favorite band, so I am a little bit partial to any album that they put out. This is some good material though from Kelly and the boys. This band is at the top of my list to see live this year … I don’t care where I have to travel to do it. Check out their album “Language, Sex, Violence, Other?”
Honorable Mention – Dakota, Superman, Devil
www.stereophonics.com/

7. Foo Fighters – The Best of You
“In Your Honor” is my favorite double album of the year; anything Dave Grohl does is gold in my opinion. The Foo Fighters help me keep some faith in good old Rock and Roll. They put out great material, they never take themselves too seriously and they really put on a fun live show.
Honorable Mention – DOA, No Way Back, Resolve, The Last Song, Another Round
www.foofighters.com/

6. Coldplay – Fix You
Some find this track corny; I’m not one of those people. This is a great song and the mood and atmosphere it creates it unbelievable. The feeling that it creates at about the two minute mark when the song really picks up is wicked. Nicely done gentleman … a melancholy, thoughtful song that’s not just a fluffy ballad pre-packaged for the radio.
Honorable Mention – ‘til Kingdom Come, Speed of Sound, Talk, X & Y
www.coldplay.com/

5. Beck – E-Pro
Beck is cool. I enjoy this album and this song on so many different levels; I highly recommend picking up “Guero”. Only negatives: a couple Spanish speaking tracks and a little weirdness here and there … but if you can deal with the quirkiness the other stuff is money and in my opinion so good that its almost the album of the year.
Honorable Mention – Girl, Go it Alone, Black Tambourine, Rental Car
www.beck.com/

More Later Today ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:51 AM

 
Blogger Nancy said...

"In your Honor" is great!! I like Beck too!!

I like reading your posts!!

This is Nancy from Israeli Uncensored News

1:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home